Imagine entering a store you’ve never visited before. You look around for clues about where to start but there are no signs to direct you. Maybe you’re a bargain hunter and want to know where to find the clearance section. But because there aren’t signs, you’re stumped. You want to find an associate to ask for help, but don’t see any signs for the cash register. If you’re like most people, you’d probably feel frustrated enough to leave.
If your retail space doesn’t have wayfinding signage, this could be happening in your store. You might be missing out on valuable business because the customer is confused about how to navigate your space. Luckily, there’s a simple solution for this problem: wayfinding signage.
What is wayfinding signage?
Wayfinding is the process of navigating from point A to point B. Wayfinding signage is a system of tools that helps with that process. They are some of the most simple and effective ways to help patrons navigate their physical environment and orient themselves in their location.
Types of signage and how to use them in retail
There are four basic types wayfinding signage. We’ve outlined a few popular ways they’re used in retail spaces but get creative! The main goal is to help your customer have a great, stress-free experience.
- Information: signs that provide extra information about the space, like Wi-Fi info, or what space is public vs. staff only or what items are on sale. These signs are great to use for educating customers about promotions or loyalty programs.
- Direction: signs that tell you what direction to travel in. Use the signs to nudge customers toward a certain path around the store, so they check out everything you have to offer. You can guide them with arrows or other directional signage.
- Identification: signs that provide information about the space. Identification signs are critical for a good user experience and help customers know where to find the entry & exits, the changing rooms, specific sections of the store, or where to check out.
- Warnings: signs that help keep people away from danger. These signs, like “no smoking” or “caution wet floor” keep people safe and your operation running smoothly.
Why wayfinding signage is important for retail
Wayfinding is not just important for retail, it’s necessary. Without it, you risk a poor customer experience and lost sales. The good news is that wayfinding has a host of benefits including:
- Delight: functional and creative retail signage can help customers feel welcome and at ease, creating a sense of wellbeing and loyalty.
- Autonomy: Customers can easily find what they’re looking for without having to ask for help, saving everyone time and hassle.
- Branding: Wayfinding signage can pull double duty as a marketing tool. Keep your wayfinding signs cohesive with your brand and inform customers about deals and promotions.
- Efficiency: because customers can navigate for themselves, your staff will likely be less stressed and have more time to focus on important tasks.
Get Help with Your Wayfinding Signage
If you need help creating or updating the wayfinding signage in your retail space, call us! Our design professionals are ready to collaborate with you. Together, we’ll develop the perfect wayfinding signage for your space.
We proudly use 3MTM graphic films and overlaminates.