For those of us in the northern half of the country, we’re about to reach the character-building part of the year.
Winter has a way of testing many aspects of life. Our resolve to get out of a warm bed on a cold morning. Our heating system’s ability to keep us cozy on a below-zero night. Our vehicles’ vinyl graphics character to continue looking its best in the midst of snow, ice, slush and road salt.
Signature Graphics knows that the extremes of winter certainly present some challenges to graphics, but reminds you that some basic care can go a long way in helping them look their best thousands of miles into the future.
We proudly use 3M™ graphic films and overlaminates to ensure the best quality products to put your business in the best light, regardless of the season. 3M offers some care tips for your vehicle graphics, which should be treated as you would fine paint finishes on your car.
- Regular washing: Because dirt and contaminants allowed to remain on the graphics may make them harder to remove, it’s best to wash the vehicle each time it appears dirty. Automated car washes may be used, with touchless washes being the best for graphics. A brush touching the vinyl wrap could potentially dull it or cause edges to lift.
- Use hands instead of pressure: Washing by hand is preferred but pressure washing is OK if pressure is below 2000 psi and less than 180 degrees. If pressure washing, use a spray nozzle with a 40-degree spray pattern and keep nozzle at least one foot away from and perpendicular to vehicle.
- Preservation techniques: A couple of don’ts for your graphics: do not use wax, and do not use abrasive polishes. If there is a wax or residue on your vehicles, remove it with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Store indoors: Exposure to sun and environmental elements can wear down vinyl graphics over time. Whenever possible, keep your vehicle indoors or in the shade during the day. Protect against acidic rain and dew in the morning by parking in a garage. If that’s not possible, a cloth car cover will provide protection.
- Don’t forget the undercarriage: You want to keep the underside of the vehicle clean as well. If salt remains on the undercarriage, your steel components can begin to rust. Rust can hurt the graphics’ ability to cling to the vehicle.
For information on services available at Signature Graphics, contact us today.